Fall Pond Care & Closing
As cooler temperatures approach, it is important that you take the necessary steps to properly prepare your water feature for the fall and winter months. Whether you want to keep your water feature running or choose to turn it off for the winter, we can help.
A typical Fall Closing completed by Jackson Pond consists of:
- Turning the water feature off and removing the pump(s)
- Cleaning off the pump (if water is available)
- Set aside pump for winter storage
- Remove the skimmer baskets/nets and remove skimmer brushes/mats. All are cleaned, prepared and bagged for winter storage
- Disconnect auto-fill valve from skimmer and bag for proper storage during the winter
- Drain the biofalls and remove all filter mats and bioballs/lava rocks
- Clean filter media, prepare for winter storage and bag
- Drain the skimmer and properly blow the lines to ensure no splits occur during the winter
- Clean any filtration media and store in a dry place
- Empty pressurized filter canisters or filter urns, clean filter media and prepare for winter storage
- Trim aquatic plants according to their variety to prevent them from decomposing in the pond
- Removal of as much organic material as possible from the water feature such as leaves and debris
- Install homeowner’s winter aerator (bubbler) and de-icer
- Install homeowner’s leaf net to prevent leaves from blowing into the pond
- If leaves have already finished falling, we remove or take down any leaf nets that have already been put on the pond and get them ready for storage.
- Deliver your requested products for the season
Your water feature deserves to be properly taken care of so let our knowledgeable team do what is best for your unique feature.